I have completed my first night of working out! Woo!
I left work at 4:00 and went over there, and then changed into my workout clothes and went into the gym. I knew some of what to expect, based on the sheet he gave me on Friday, but it was nice to go through it for the first time and really start getting the routine in my head.
First he took my blood pressure and resting heart rate. My heart rate was 88, and my blood pressure was 128 over 86, I think. Then he gave me this thing to put on that monitors heart rate, and we went over to the elliptical machine. He showed me that the monitor I was wearing syncs up with the machine, so my heart rate was displayed on it (cool). He said we wanted my heart rate to get between 132 and 153 (I think). I got into the 140s and stayed there, so I guess that was good.
I did my 20 minutes, at a fairly light resistance, but then it's my first day. I was dripping sweat when I was done, though, so it definitely was a workout.
Then I had a five minute cool down on the elliptical, which brought my heart rate down to about 120, and then we went to the weight machines. He showed me how to set the weights (I need to wear my contacts while I workout, though - I don't like wearing my glasses when I'm getting all sweaty, and things are just slightly blurry without them), and then I did a lot of arm work - my arms are sore this morning. And I did some reverse crunches, and some leg things on the floor, and then he showed me how to stretch out the muscles I had worked, he took my heart rate and blood pressure (heart rate just over 100, blood pressure the same as when I started). And I was done!
So, yay! Now I know exactly what to expect. He'll make things harder on me as my body gets more used to it, and I'll have to increase the length of time I spend on cardio work and increase the number of repetitions I do on weight work, but I can get through this, no problem.
I have just under 13 months until I get married - I'll be in such good shape by then! I'm so glad I'm doing this program. :)
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

YOU DID GREAT! I don't know if you enjoy sweating but hopefully you will come to like how it feels---I always imagine the sweat as toxins and such leaving my body. Of course the shower after working out is totally amazing. I look forward to that part, too.
ReplyDeleteSounds like he did a good job of monitoring you throughout--nice!
I wear glasses myself but since I've been running about every day, I have to wear contacts and I'm not a fan but it's just how it is!
Thanks Melissa! I brought my contacts with me today, so if I can get them in this afternoon without any problems (I don't wear them often), at least I'll be able to see tonight. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't mind sweating from working out - I just hate sweating solely because it's hot outside. :D
Congrats on day one! Forward you go!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sally!
ReplyDelete