Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Workout Plan

I got my workout plan! There isn't anything too surprising in it, really. Here's what it says.

First there is a lot of stuff about heart rate max (HRM), resting heart rate (RHR) and heart rate reserve (HRR). I'm not sure what the first and last thing mean, but they give numbers for them all. My HRM is 195 beats per minute (BPM), my RHR is 90 BPM and my HRR is 105 BPM. I don't know what all of that means, but I'm sure I'll have it explained to me on Monday.

Then there is a formula for lower level training zone, and one for upper level training zone, and formulas equal math which equals me zoning out immediately. Zzzzz. :)

But then it says that my training heart range is 132-153 BPM, which I understand. And then is our goals.

"Our goal is to have you do 30-45 minutes of cardio and eventually progressing to 60-90 minutes. I suggest you do this 5-7 times a week." He did say that I may start out only doing 20 minutes, and working my way up from there - did I mention I'm so out of shape I'm basically starting at ground zero here? They have a lot of treadmills there, but I'm hoping to be able to use the elliptical more - I've used one of those once, and I liked it much better than a treadmill.

Exercises that can be done for my cardio, according to this sheet: elliptical (yes!), treadmill (or walking or jogging outside), bicycle, aerobic stepping, dancing, swimming. Of those I like the elliptical, I don't mind walking outside, I love to ride bike (although it's very difficult here because of hills) and I love swimming. But my pool is out of commission and staying that way, so it's not an option. And because of the hills and my bad state of cardio health right now, the bike isn't an option this year, either. I'll pick that up in the spring.

And then there's resistance training (weight machines). My legs are already pretty strong (woo! at least one part of me is), so we're focusing more on my upper body than lower body. I'll be doing 8-10 repetitions for 2-3 sets in the following exercises:

Chest press: 50 pounds
Lat pull-down: 50 pounds
Tricep press: 26 pounds
Bicep curl: 26 pounds
Kick backs: 8 pound dumbbells
Reverse curls: 8 pound dumbbells
Sitting crunch: 26 pounds

I'm not sure what some of those exercises are, but he'll walk me through them all on Monday, so I'll be finding out pretty quickly.

And then there is a cool down to stretch all major muscles that were used. I'm to hold my stretches for a minimum of 15 seconds.

Chest stretch
Tricep stretch
Quad stretch
Hamstring stretch
Shoulder/back stretch

I'm only going to be working out at the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, because he does the orientations on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I think if he doesn't have any of those scheduled we can work out then, but those days will be the exception, rather than the rule. So he put on the paper that he wants me doing cardio in my target heart range for 30-45 minutes at home. I can either go for walks or I can do videos (I'll do videos - I want to buy Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred, and before I get that there are videos I can do on Netflix's watch instantly part of their site - I love Netflix).

He also gave me a list of exercises I can do for resistance training at home:

Chair squats
Modified push-ups
Knee ups
Trunk lifts
Crunches

And there we are! That's my workout plan. I have to say, now that the orientation is over, and the stress test has come and gone, I'm kind of looking forward to getting started.

Oh, and he didn't give me any diet plan to follow or anything, but I'm planning on just tracking my food in Spark People, and I'm going to try to stick to around 1350 or 1400 calories. That's the mid-point of the range they give me for weight loss, and combined with the exercise I'll be doing, it should be sufficient for me to drop some weight. I hope. :)

Two more days of sloth-dom, and then the fun begins!

4 comments:

  1. Can I just say...WOW! That is some detailed plan, which is good because there is no guesswork involved. You have your work cut out for you, for sure but it is definitely do-able. Obviously it's going to have to be a priority every single day!

    I know a teensy bit about Heart Rates but not much more than you. If your resting rate is 90, that's a bit high but will lower quickly as you become more fit. You don't want your heart working so hard all the time and cardio will lower it.

    I like the idea of keeping track in the mid-range at Sparkpeople.

    All in all, looks like a very solid plan.

    Now all you have to do is..... DO IT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what you'd think about the plan, since you're more fit than I am, and into running and working out regularly. I'm excited about getting started on it! I have to order my dog some medicine (which, oddly, they carry through Amazon), and I think I might throw that workout DVD I want in the cart at the same time. :)

    I'm so excited about getting fit! Even if it will be hard work to do it! (You may have to remind me of that later, though. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your trainer is leaving no rock unturned, the plan sounds well thought out and aggressive to me. Glad that he will be around the gym to tweak your workout as needed. And a very big GOOD FOR YOU for getting this all started.

    I'll be looking forward to your results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sally! I'm looking forward to those, too. :) This afternoon is my first workout, woo! I'll be hobbling around work all sore tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete