For the first two days after I worked out Monday night, my calves were ANGRY. Tight, sore, making me hobble when I first got up from bed or after sitting for a few minutes. Ouch! :) I'm also feeling very tired after my work outs (and even this morning, after working out last night, I didn't want to get up for work because it felt like I needed to sleep longer). But I know that will all go away with time, as my body adjusts.
Last night's work out when very well, though! I decided to try the treadmill, to see if I liked it any better than the one I have at home. Well, when I first got on, I didn't think I would. I didn't like the feeling of having to go so fast so that it wouldn't dump me on the floor behind it. But once I got used to it, it was okay, and I definitely worked much harder than I did Monday night on the elliptical. My heart rate went up to the maximum he said we should shoot for - going between 150 and 155.
I did my whole 20 minutes on it, plus a five minute cool down, and then the trainer took me through the weight routine again. A few more times, and I'll have that routine down, I think. Oh, and I think I'm going to ask if I can do a two minute warm-up in addition to the cool down. I think it would be nice to be able to get used to the treadmill before it starts trying to dump me off the back. :)
I asked my boss today when she got back from vacation if I could keep my summer hours of 7:30 - 4:00 going all year, so that I can start working out at 4:00 instead of 4:30 (we usually switch to 8-4:30 when students are here). As it is, I'm getting there at about 4:05 and not leaving until 5:10 - I don't want that to turn into 5:40 (or 6:00 when my cardio time goes up). Luckily, she said yes, yay! It's nice to have that half an hour extra at home in the evening. Plus when winter gets here (all too soon), maybe I'll be able to get home when I can still see through the snow.
Oh,and he showed me some stretches for my calves, so they're not hurting as much today. :)
Here's a question I thought of when I got done working out yesterday, though. I felt GREAT when I left. Why can I never remember that feeling when I think about exercising and don't want to?
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think it takes a while and lots of practice to remember that feeling and then act on it....for example, I did NOT want to go for a run this afternoon. In fact, my mornings when the alarm goes off, the LAST thing I want to do is run but then I visualize how fantastic I will feel afterwards and how awful and depressed I'll feel if I *don't* go. I've gotten to where I look forward to that fantastic feeling. It's a drug and I want more of that happy stuff, you know? But it took a while. It's definitely an attitude thing.
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, I almost never want to go for a run. However, i want that after feeling so much, I do it!
Glad you got some good calf stretches. Hate that feeling!!
That is great about keeping your hours, too! I did that when I started working. I was supposed to work 10-2 but eventually asked if I could work 9-1 and my boss agreed. Made a difference for me.
I'm going to try to remember that feeling this time. Although I think it might be easier for me not to skip, since I'm paying to do this, and I have to work out at least an hour a week each month in order to get half of my money back.
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, I'm so happy to be keeping my hours!
I have the hardest time remembering that feeling when it is either 1) first thing in the morning, or 2) the weather is bad. It is a great feeling, though. I hear that some people actually become addicted to the work out high! Definitely work out before you go home, though. I find that once I get home in the evenings, it is hard to get me back out again. This was definitely true when I was up in Syracuse in the winter. Once the sun went down, I was under blankets on the couch!
ReplyDeleteSo excited to read that you and J set a date! Yey! You are going to be one BEAUTIFUL bride!!