Thursday, December 2, 2010

In which I go to the doctor, maybe for good reason, maybe not, who knows?

So I talked to Jim about the heart flutter thing, and he told me in very different words that a trip to the doctor may be a good idea, and if he had to take me himself on his day off, he would. :)

I called the doctor's office this morning, and got an appointment at 11:30. When I told the doctor what was going on, she said they'd do an EKG in the office. There's only one problem - you have to be laying down and still for the EKG, and this flutter thing only happens when I'm moving around. (This doctor's office doesn't have a stress test set-up.) But I walked up and down the halls and got it fluttering, they hooked up the electrodes and I laid down, and of course my heart was beating all normal by then, so it read normal.

She told me I could go see a cardiologist, or I could get them to set me up with a 24 hour halter monitor. I chose to go with the monitor. I have to go tomorrow at 2:30 to get it hooked up, and apparently I'll keep it on until 2:30 on Saturday (I wonder if I can shower with it on? Or take it off to shower and put it back on?), and then next week they'll read it and tell me if anything is happening when it flutters, or if all is normal.

Also, I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but I tend to when I'm behaving. I was VERY good at home last night. So good! I was proud of myself. And this morning the scale was down a pound, woo! I love when being good pays off. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for going in! I've heard of the halter monitor and people wearing them for at least 24 to get a read. I'm glad you chose that option. I hope it's nothing to worry about.

    Yep, I'm a scale hopper when I'm good, too! I wish I could stay off except once a week but I want to check trends when I am behaving!

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa! I hope the monitor isn't too horrible to wear - I Googled it and saw a picture of all sorts of wires, so it may not be very comfortable. But it's only for a day, so I guess that's not that bad, and it's worth it to find out what (if anything) is going on.

    ReplyDelete