Monday, December 13, 2010

Heart Monitor Results Are...Sort of In?

I called my doctor's office a few minutes ago, to see if they had the results from the heart monitor thing yet. I didn't talk to the doctor herself - I think the woman on the phone was a nurse? I'm not sure. Maybe not, since she didn't know what some of the words in the report meant. Anyway, she said that they did get the results, and they're scheduling me for a stress test next week.

Okay, I don't really know what any of this means, big picture wise, but here is what she said. My heart is in sinus rhythm, which is good. My average heart rate was 85, which for me is about normal, I think (it's almost always in the 80s when I take it, even years ago when I was younger and much thinner). But there were "frequent PVCs," and they want me to take a stress test, I think to find out if there is a cardiac disease looming, or if the PVCs are just a normal thing that happen sometimes.

And here is where I admit that I totally had to look up the term PVC, and it stands for Premature Ventricular Contraction. Basically, it's exactly what it felt like - my heart sometimes just beats a second time sooner than it should.

It's funny - I wasn't really worried about this at all before. I even forgot to call on Friday to see if they had my results. But now? I'm kind of worried. This isn't fun.

So that's where we are. I have to be at the hospital on Tuesday at 6:45 a.m., which is pretty torturous, since it means I'll have to be up at around 5:00. And I have to walk on a treadmill while electrodes are stuck to my skin. But we'll see what it says. I haven't worked out in a couple of weeks (the gym has been closed because the trainer had surgery, and I've been bad and haven't worked out at home), but when I was still going, my heart never felt weird when working out at all. It doesn't even flutter there, usually. So we'll see.

Oh, and it's only fluttered maybe 1-4 times a day for the last four days. It's been nice, having the flutters slow down and thinking that they may be going away. Now here's hoping that it really is all nothing, and that the stress test will prove that. Because while the web page I read to find out about PVCs said in most cases they meant nothing, it also used the term "sudden death" a few times, and I don't like that term at all. So we're hoping for nothing being wrong, obviously.

6 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for nothing! I'm glad you decided to get it checked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also hoping (and believe!) it's probably nothing but a stress test is a great idea just the same. Now why couldn't they just schedule it later in the day? I'm so not a morning person either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely not! The only thing getting me up for work lately is that I'm on vacation starting the 24th. :) I really do believe it's nothing, too, but with heart disease in my family, it's hard not to worry a little bit. Even if the flutters do seem to be going away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better safe than anything else girlfriend. My toes are crossed too that it's just a nuisance thing - something to drive you crazy for the next 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nuisance thing would be good! Although I'd rather it stopped being a nuisance and just went back to normal. :D

    ReplyDelete