I have a problem that I really need to work on. When I'm at home alone at night, I eat WAY too much.
I know what's happening when I do it. I know that when I go to the kitchen again, or open up that bag of Halloween candy to take out a Kit-Kat again, that I'm not doing those things because I'm hungry. I'm doing them because I'm lonely, I'm bored, and I'm eating to fill a void. I know it's wrong when I'm doing it, but I'm not often strong enough to stop myself.
This is something I have to get control of. Jim works at a job that requires him to be away at night more often than we like. I spend a fair number of evenings alone, and even a fair amount of weekend time alone.
So, when I get lonely and bored and am wishing he were there, but he's not and not going to be, how do I stop myself from heading to the kitchen again? How do I stop myself from eating too much? How do I convince myself that a belly stuffed full of unnecessary calories isn't going to make me any less lonely until Jim comes home to me?
Thankfully, I won't have to figure that out tonight. Jim will be home for the first night all week, yay! I can't wait to see him again (I haven't seen him at all since Sunday night). I definitely need to figure out something for the future, though, and I'll take any advice you have!
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's a toughie! And one I don't know the answer to.
ReplyDeleteHmmm...this is a lame answer but it's obvious and works at my house when I can get away with it---don't have anything remotely tempting. When planets align and there is nothing good to eat at my house, I'm definitely not going to leave the house to go buy something and more often than not, I just end up drinking hot tea and then patting myself on the back in the morning. It's rare it happens (couple of times a year) but I thought I'd throw it out there.
ReplyDeleteIn addition to Melissa's method (which I definitely have to do to keep from gorging plus I am too lazy to run out for anything at night), I drink more water.
ReplyDeletePart of the problem is that the holidays are starting. Halloween kicks them off and pretty much it's a food fest now until New Years Day, so everyone is bringing goodies to work and stores are displaying lots of yummies too.
Since you are collecting suggestions when bored or alone, collect some for holiday temptations so I can steal the ideas. :)
Something I've noticed with working in an office that gets a lot of goodies at Christmas, I've found that if I don't even taste ONE of something, I can handle it better than trying to have a little bit.
ReplyDeleteI'll just keep reminding myself "Not for you." over and over, every minute if I have to--and chew gum or drink minty tea. It works some days but not all but I figure if it works even for a couple of days, that's better than nothing!!