Long time no write, huh? I haven't been in here lately because nothing has changed. I didn't stick with my June challenge for even a day. I've roller skated, but that's ending, because we have things going on in July that will mean we can't use the gym. I'm eating whatever the heck I want. Nothing is changing.
But there is hope. Since I'm realizing that I just can't do this on my own, I'm thinking that in July I'm going to sign up for the wellness center here at work. My workplace reimburses us for half of the money for joining as long as we workout for at least an hour a week, and this place is ridiculously cheap anyway.
Here's how it works. I sign up for a stress test and orientation, which will cost me $25. I'll get evaluated by a trainer, and he'll show me what I need to work on and we'll talk about what my goals are. Then he comes up with a workout plan for me. For this stress test, I have to have clearance from my doctor, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Then, for the first couple of weeks or so he sticks with me while I workout, showing me how to use the various machines and proper form and all that. After that I workout on my own, but he's always around, apparently.
After that initial stress test, it's a ridiculously low fee of $15 a month. So cheap! And once I get half of that back, I'm only paying $7.50 to workout with a personal trainer for a month! Crazy, but true.
So I'm signing up starting in July. I'm hoping to arrange the stress test for either July 6th or 13th (he does them on Tuesdays), and then I would like to workout an hour a day, three or four days a week. They have you work on cardio and also with weights, so it'll be a great all over workout. I'll tell you more about it in July as I get started.
I hate working out, but I like having hope that I will actually start to change myself soon. :)
Friday, June 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! What a FANTASTIC program! *jealous*
ReplyDeleteIt's true-you can't make yourself like something (ie working out) but you can learn to LOVE the aftereffects so much that you can't imagine NOT working out to achieve that feeling. Takes a while, I imagine, but hopefully you will find it. Does your J like to work out? If not, that's a tough situation!
He does! He's also applying for a job where I work, so this is one more reason my fingers are crossed that he gets it. If he does, we can work out together! He'd be great at pushing me to work harder.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're absolutely right - when I was in my early to mid-20s, I used to work out every day. I always hated the workout, but I did love the way it made me feel. I want that again!
I hope he gets the job! That would be so cool for both of you!
ReplyDeleteYep, that's how I get my runs in (well, that and my training plan)-- I just remember HOW GOOD I will feel when I am done and I go for that. The pain isn't long but the after effects are fantastic.
Are you on facebook?
Yes, I am! You can find me by searching for Denise Paul. My user pic is a picture I took of myself with my cat, so it's my big old face with glasses on, with my black cat under my chin.
ReplyDeleteOk! I will friend you!
ReplyDeleteTrainers are fantastic. I've had one for years. I've found that I am more likely to go if I have someone waiting for me. It keeps me honest and pretty much guarantees that I will work out at least twice a week. Without one, I found every excuse in the book to avoid the gym (I am too tired, I’ll work out tomorrow, etc.).
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Denise!
(and may I be your FB friend, too?)
That's what I'm hoping too, Deals. I got the paperwork for it, and I'm going to have to actually go get bloodwork taken, so I'm not sure how long it'll be before I begin working out. I'm kind of looking forward to it, though!
ReplyDeleteAnd of course you can! I don't post many status updates, but I'd love to friend you there. :)
What a great opportunity! Glad you are going to take advantage of it. Nothing like a little one on one to get motivated (I'm jealous!).
ReplyDelete